The Application Programming Interface (API) allows for automated communication between connected systems. Follow these steps to gather the required Shopify credentials.
Gather Admin credentials
A user is required to allow access to Shopify APIs. The Shopify Store administrator account can be used for this purpose.
Or, you can grant the necessary permissions to a separate Staff account.
Add a Shopify Staff account
To add a new Staff account as the API user, follow these steps.
- Log in to Shopify as the store administrator.
- On the bottom left, click Settings.
- On the left, click Users and permissions.
- Under Staff heading, click Add staff.
- Fill in the staff member details, and click Send Invite. The user will be emailed to join the account.
Minimum user permissions
The following are the minimum user permissions required for the Shopify API user. In Shopify, these permissions can be set at Settings > Users & Permissions > [user name].
- Edit orders
- Draft orders
- View products
- View product cost
- Manage inventory
- Gift cards
- Metaobject definitions
- Create and edit definitions
- Delete definitions
- Metaobject entries
- Create and edit entries
- Request customer data
- Manage settings
- External login services
- View apps developed by staff and collaborators
- Develop apps
- Enable app development
- View customer events
Apps and Channels
- Manage and install apps and channels
In Shopify, the permissions would look like this:
Next: Enable API Access
Please sign in to leave a comment.