Sending tracking numbers back to Magento via the API is a two-step process. First, a shipment is created for an order. Then, tracking numbers are added to the newly created shipment.
Why is it a two-step process?
By default, Magento sends an email notification to the customer after the shipment is created, but before the tracking numbers have been added. As a result, the customer receives an email notification that does not include a tracking number.
However, your DropStream Integration can be configured to provide the tracking numbers to Magento, so they are included in shipment emails.
Create a Magento email template for shipment updates
First, create a new email template:
- In the Magento administration panel, click System > Templates > Transactional Emails.
- Click Add New Template.
- Under Load default template, select New Shipment from the Template list, then click Load Template.
- Under Template Information, in the Template Name box, give the template a unique name. For example, "Shipment Update With Tracking Number."
- Click Save Template.
Repeat the above steps
Next, repeat Steps 1-5 with the template name "New Shipment for Guest."
Swap email templates
Then, follow these steps to swap email templates.
- In the Magento administration panel, click System > Configuration.
- Under Sales, click Sales Emails.
- Expand Shipment Email configuration. then set Enabled to No.
- Expand Shipment Comments Email configuration, then set Enabled to Yes.
- Set Shipment Comment Email Template to the Template Name previously created.
- Set Shipment Comment Email Template for Guest to the Template Name previously created.
- Click Save Config.
When tracking numbers are pushed to your Magento store, the customer will receive one shipment notification that contains all tracking numbers.
Next: Review Order Status